"Mystic Pizza"- Buttnernut Squash, Roasted Garlic and Goat Cheese Pizza with Fennel Seed Crust
Lately I’ve had quite a craving for butternut squash. I tossed around the idea of making a butternut squash souffle, or a pasta with roasted squash but none of those ideas seemed to strike my fancy. Then, I stumbled upon a pizza recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Closet Cooking, that inspired me to make what I believe is one of the most interesting pizzas I’ve ever had.
What You Need:
Pizza Dough (when I’m tight on time I prefer Pillsbury Thin Crust)
10 oz pkg. Frozen Pureed Butternut Squash
1 Bulb Roasted Garlic
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Red Onion
1 Cup Sliced White Mushrooms
3/4 Cup Diced Roasted Butternut Squash (make ahead)
Shaved Asiago Cheese
1 Tbsp. Fennel Seed
2 Tbsp. Corn Meal
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Defrost the frozen squash in the microwave until it becomes a smooth texture. Take the squeeze out the roasted garlic from its bulb and mash the cloves into the pureed squash. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Next, sprinkle the corn meal and fennel seed on the bottom of your pizza stone or baking sheet. Remove the dough from the package and spread onto baking tray. Place the dough in the oven and allow dough to brown slightly (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
3. Pre-heat a greased pan on low heat. Add the sliced red onion. Sprinkle the sugar on the onions and allow them to caramelize. Then, remove the onions and add the sliced mushrooms to the pan. Allow the mushrooms to cook down, then set aside.
4. Remove the baked dough from the oven and spread a thin layer of the pureed squash mixture onto the pizza dough. Next, add the mushrooms and onions to the pizza. Then, add the shaved asiago, crumbled goat cheese and diced roasted butternut squash.
5. Place the pizza back into the 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes.