"Rock the Boat"- Creamy Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup with Pesto Grilled Cheese Boats
Early Sunday morning I had a lovely stroll through the Hollywood Farmer’s Market. The cool weather, great people watching and gorgeous produce made it a perfect “farming” day.
After the market, I got a huge craving for grilled cheese and tomato soup. This combo is a huge favorite amongst folks and is the kind of meal that makes you feel like a kid again. As for this kid, I decided my grilled cheese and tomato soup needed to grow up a bit.
What You Need (Serves 2):
For the Soup:
4 Large Tomatoes (quartered)
4 Large Garlic Cloves (smashed)
1 Small Onion (quartered)
1/4 Cup Fresh Basil or 1/2 tsp. Dried Basil
2 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar.
Heat oven to 400 degrees (on convection if you have it)
1. Combine tomatoes, garlic and onions in medium bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the veggies onto baking sheet or casserole dish and place in heated oven.
2. Roast vegetables for 25 minutes.
3. Next, add the roasted vegetables, balsamic and basil into a blender and puree until it reaches your desired consistency. Adjust seasonings to your liking.
For the grilled cheese boats:
2 Slices of Bread (I used Sprouted Rye)
2 Tbsp. Pesto (I used pesto I bought from the Farmer’s Market)
2 Slices of Cheese (I used Jarlsberg- but would suggest using Goat Cheese and Mozzarella)
1. Cut off the crusts of the bread then spread the pesto onto the slices and top with cheese. Put the sandwich together and grill the sandwich in a greased pan or panini maker.
2. Slice the sandwich into quarters to form 4 mini grilled cheeses. Place the mini sandwiches onto the portioned soup right before serving.