"Mini Sombreros"- Individual Mini Taco Bowls
Some of you may already know that I’m a huge fan of mexican food! So last night in an attempt to mix up my usual mexican style dinner, I decided to experiment by making mini taco bowls. This meal was low-fat, easy and delish!!!!
What you need:
White corn tortillas (the ones I bought were cheap and only 130 calories for two tortillas)
Large muffin tin
Guacamole (see HOLY Guacamole recipe on previous posts)
Set Oven to 350 degrees on convection
1. Steam tortillas in microwave for 40 seconds. Place torillas into large muffin tins*.
2. Crisp the shells in the oven until they begin to slightly brown. Remove from oven and set aside. Meanwhile, heat refried beans in microwave for 3 minutes (Add a little salsa to your beans for extra flavor).
3. Spoon refried beans into the crispy shells. Top with shredded mexican cheese. Place tins back into the oven.
4. The shells should only need a few minutes of the cheese to melt, then remove from the oven.
5. Add desired toppings to the shells. I added lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole. Serve immediately.
*Last night I experimented with the tortillas 2 ways. You can either push them in and if it rips the tortilla, just place it in the bottom and they will crisp together. Or you can get the tortilla soft enough that it will form more of a wavey bowl. I also tried cutting the tortilla part of the way and made a cone, then placed it in the muffin tin
**Perfect as an appetizer or even as a dinner entree. You can even spice the mini bowls by adding grilled onions and peppers!